The reason behind adversities

Many times I have asked: why must I go through the unpleasantness of life. I see no sense to any kind of misfortunes people must face at some points in their lives. There are times when I question God for His timidity in allowing pain and misery to destroy a person. Perhaps this is also the reason many gave up their faith in the existence of the Almighty. Suffering has been my life’s greatest question. No matter how much I try to rationalize the reason behind this fact of life I cannot find any understanding. Why do I need to experience adversity? What good does torment bring? Why must we suffer the agonies of loss, injustice, pain, torture and hopelessness?

Then, a flicker of light came from the depths of my soul. I felt I had the wrong perception of the truth and that my limited mind has been causing all the torments in my life. A deep feeling tells me that I will never find any answers if I rely solely within the reason of my mind. Everything that I came to believe is nothing more than my mind’s effort to interpret all things according to its limited realm. Whenever I experience trepidations in my life, I have realized that it is my minds reaction to the things beyond its comprehension.

My first experience of adversity was when my father contracted an incurable disease. Many years passed as I lay witness to the suffering of this person I love; as my father was continuously beleaguered by physical torment, so am I with my helplessness to assuage his suffering. In our frequent visit to the hospital my suffering doubled as I saw the pain other people had as they see their loved ones in devastation; but there is no pain greater than seeing the person you loved falter before your eyes, such is what I have experienced upon the demise of my father.

After facing many adversities in my life I have slowly gain wisdom about the reason behind the sufferings of man. I have learned something about myself that is hugely alien from my established perception. The adversities of pain, discomfort and misfortune are the facts of life that our mind is incapable of handling; its only way of response is resistance. The more we allow our minds to handle adversities, the more we become miserable. If we rely on our minds to find the light in the dark, our search will be in vain. There is another force more powerful residing within us that holds the wisdom behind the adversities of life—our spirit.

I don’t mean to be metaphysical in this aspect. What I want to share is the discovery I had about the true nature of our being. Much as I want to resist the fact that I am one with my mind, I’m really not. Rather, I am controlled by my mind. Everything we perceive since the beginning of our consciousness was pre-arranged by our minds in compliance with the law of nature. Thus, our mentality goes in line with our biological makeup. It is for this very reason that we all share the aspirations of power, recognition, respect, fame, fortune and many other temporal things that belong to this world. But what happens then when we are faced with adversities? Why are we having trouble with it? The answer lies in the inability of our minds to accept chaos. When adversity visits, the mind is being displaced of control. And when it can no longer hold control of the situation we become confused and we loose our sense of direction. However, it is in this situation  our true self is called to take control of our being. By recognizing and heeding the little voice from within, we slowly discover our higher form of consciousness.

The reason behind all adversities is to nudge us out of our minds in order for our spirits to dominate. Every time we experience suffering, we are given the chance to break free from the controls of our minds and follow the beckoning of our spirits. Once we allow this we can experience the manifestation of hope, faith, love, forgiveness, peace and liberation—all of which are beyond the realm of the our mind.

By relying on our mind’s narrow boundaries in making sense of all the adversities we encounter, we will loose our sanity. No matter how rational we dissect our misfortunes, nothing will make sense, because we are looking in the eyes of our shallow minds. However, if we gather the strength to endure all of life’s test, we will discover a new dimension of understanding that will answer any questions we have within. Once our mind looses its influence on us, we will see our own limitlessness for which we have always been.

Suffering is only of the mind. Once the mind lose control, our true essence will finally be realized.

“Adversity is like a strong wind.  It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are. “

~~Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

To my readers I offer thought provoking compositions about things important that affects our daily lives.  Please consider by subscribing below.

Globe Icon: RSS

Get Follow Me Buttons

Success eludes mediocrity

Nobody wants to listen

Technorati Tags: , , ,

53 Responses to “The reason behind adversities”

1. Alien Ghost says:

Interesting post Walter, when the gurus teach to gain control using our consciousness and logic over our feelings, to have such control over those feelings, this approach present us with a different perspective that basicaly destroy the long time held concepts.

Introspection time for us!

Raul
    .-= Alien Ghost´s last blog ..Ads in Blogs =-.

It is held by many the belief of absolute control but in the reality of life, such is an impossibility. Most of the time, when faced with adversity, we need to be still and be strong despite the weakness of our minds. :-)

2. Kim says:

What a thoughtful post on adversities. You begin with unpleasantness and it brings to mind a myriad of lessons that are a part of life to awaken us. We are of choices and along the way we learn to differentiate our responsibility and what is in our control vs. what is meant for others to claim and learn from. Then, to illness and ‘dis-ease’ — an adversity no one consciously manifests and the question is… ‘what is the purpose?’ Without reason, we are made to connect to Spirit — the essence of our beings and a true test to personal growth.

Throughout most of our lives, we try to find purpose in everything, we have the habit of finding meaning for the events in our lives. What we don’t understand is the limitations of our mind in finding the truth in everything. Through connecting with our spirits–which is our true essence–everything will be answered. :-)

3. I’m sorry to hear about your father. I do not know you personally, but I know how it is when you always go to the hospital because of illness of the person you love.

Тhis is a great story. I like your articles.

In my opinion, resistance of our mind is the source of all accidents.

Peacefulness comes when you leave ego and all resistance in your mind. This is an extremely difficult “task”.
    .-= Marko || CalmGrowth´s last blog ..How to Become a Millionaire =-.

I agree with you Marko, letting go of our minds resistance is extremely difficult. However, to go beyond our minds, we must be aware of its nature and we must also be aware that we are not our minds. But being able to connect with our spirits, then we are able to see our true strengths, as well as our own limitlessness. :-)

4. Boris says:

I like your positive attitude towards adversity.
    However, I prefer to think that we can learn from a purpose life and we don’t require to learn through adversity. Is that possible? I think so. What do you think?
    All the best,
    Boris
    .-= Boris´s last blog ..Why smart celebrities seem to say “dumb things” =-.

I would certainly love to learn from life without any experience of adversity, but I cannot control the whims of fate. I can only hope that I will have my spirit to give me strength to face any misfortunes life may bestow upon me. :-)

5. Jarred says:

I liked this article a lot as well. One thing that I might argue with is that instead of accepting that

“No matter how rational we dissect our misfortunes, nothing will make sense, because we are looking in the eyes of our shallow minds”

we can work to not have such a shallow mind in the first place. This is in our control, and though it may not help us make sense of our misfortune, it will help us to deal with adversity in a mature way, from which we can experience growth.

I clearly understand your point Jarred and I agree that we can do something with our shallow minds. However, I believe that this can only be attained if we are above the control of our minds–meaning we are not influenced by our natural instincts. Unless we become aware of the automatic response of our minds, we are still stuck in its shallowness. :-)

6. Lisa says:

Thanks Walter,

This is one post that will be good for my imprisoned brother to read. I will be sending him a copy.

We lost our father last June and it’s been especially difficult for him being unable to be there as he was dying. Words such as these will be uplifting.

.-= Lisa´s last blog ..Spring Has Sprung, Almost =-.

I’m sorry about your brother and your father. I thank you for finding something here that will be of encouragement to your brother, it makes me feel worthwhile. :-)

7. Baker says:

Hey Walter,
    Nice post. I have found that the person that sees the adversity as something to come out of it, and learn something from it, can look back and say they are glad they learned that lesson. They probably wouldn’t want to experience it again, but I agree like you say there is something at the soul level that needs to be learned when adversity comes along.

When we encounter misfortunes, we experience our own vulnerability; then we will seek answers everywhere only to find out that there’s nothing. When that time comes, our true essence will speak with it’s silent voice, telling us to hold on. For when all things pass, it is the realization of our soul that will answer all of life’s question. :-)

8. This is a wonderful post, leaving you with a lot to ponder which I’m doing..thank you…

Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com
    .-= Dorothy Stahlnecker´s last blog ..The Movie The Women =-.

9. lawmacs says:

Walter this is a very touching post and it is also my first time here but this post as the former commentator said leaves a lot to ponder. Thanks for your support
    .-= lawmacs´s last blog ..Fighting Spammers With Spam =-.

10. Karen says:

What a thought-provoking article, as always, Walter.

I have forwarded it also, to someone who is currently going through a horrible situation and I hope that it gives them comort.

I thought that this was particularly great advice: “Every time we experience suffering, we are given the chance to break free from the controls of our minds and follow the beckoning of our spirits. Once we allow this we can experience the manifestation of hope, faith, love, forgiveness, peace and liberation—all of which are beyond the realm of the our mind.”

There has to be a reason for suffering and adversity. I can’t fathom that there is no purpose or reason for its existence.

Sorry to hear about your father. My sympathies to you and your family.

Karen
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Friday’s Links =-.

Long I have searched for the meaning of our sufferings, but always in vain. There’s a verse in the bible that says “Be still and know that I am God.” I never understood what stillness means until I realized that the answer to all of lives adversities is through stillness. The more we becomes still, the more our strength is revealed through our spirits. Our minds will always be a limited entity and completely resistant of any form of chaos. But our spirits are one with everything, therefore it holds the answer to everything.

Here’s my reasoning for why we have adversity.

1) God created a living planet without which life wouldn’t be possible. That means we have wind and rain, and a molten core for the purpose of magnetic poles, and all the other things that make Earth sometimes a dangerous place.

2) We as human beings have free will. Free will demands that God not interfere with us, even when we are doing evil things.

3) Any “for sure” intervention by God would immediately rob us of our most precious gift (free will again).

For an Almighty God to “tell” everyone what to do in order to protect everyone from adversity, would be fully in opposition to our choosing virtue for its intrinsic qualities.

Tradition has it that Satan’s plan was to make everyone do the right thing. However, a wise and infinite God rejected that plan, and so here we are.

I believe Leibniz, one of the world’s geniuses; inventor of calculus along with Isaac Newton.

Leibniz believed we “live in the best of all possible worlds.”

We know for sure that exercising our free will is the cause of many of the diseases we suffer from. For example, lung cancer can be caused by a variety of human activities.

And, we could go on. However, I think you can see where I am on this question. Adversity is not great, but it is necessary for us to have the blessings that we do have.

Dr. Ann Voisin, Provost
    Linda Christas College

One question that bugs me is the fact of our free will. Much as I want to believe that we are exercising this gift, I can’t convince myself. With the light of science, I was able to find out that we act on instincts rather than our volition. We think all the while that we are making a choice but in truth we’re not. We unknowingly follow the conditioning of our minds and the influence of our surroundings.

Free will I believe can only be exercised if we become aware of our minds. Because I believe that all of the perception we experience is but the limited interpretations of our minds–and that includes adversities. :-)

12. Jen says:

Your writing is mesmerising Walter. I think learning to deal with adversity is essential … no-ones life is perfect and I agree, when we go beyond the mind we reach a place within us that is much deeper.

13. Derek says:

Thank you for visiting my blog. You have written a very good post here… Yes, we are on a very similar path. In Zen, we say that pain is “nothing personal” but a reminder for us to become more mindful, using our mind rather than have it use us. To extend our zazen (Zen meditation) into our daily life. :D .-= Derek´s last blog ..Illusion =-.

The mind takes everything personally. Still, we are not our minds and we should take control of it rather than being its slave. This may not be an easy task, but we have a lifetime to make an effort. :-)

14. Catrien Ross says:

Walter, thank you for another post written from your own deep experiences. I especially like, “every time we experience suffering we are given the chance to break free from the controls of our minds and follow the beckoning of our spirits.”

It seems that without adversity we do not understand its opposite. It is through adversity we reconnect with parts of ourselves we would otherwise let languish, and through adversity that we discover that we have depths of courage and wisdom we never recognized.

Warm wishes to you again from the mountains in Japan – Catrien Ross.
    .-= Catrien Ross´s last blog ..Catrien Ross on Reviving Your Passion and Purpose in Spring Vibrations from Japan =-.

Far beyond our physical makeup is an entity which is our true self. It is only through the experience of adversity that we can tackle our very essence. :-)

15. I think to reach your tru goals in life, health, finatially you have to go thru the bad to appreciate the good.

Health wise without the things that happened, I wouldn’t be living such a clean lifestyle now.

My business has benefited from all my mistakes, without them I wouldn’t be doing as good as I am.

If you look at a adverseries long enuff you will see the bright side, and how to benefit from it in a positive way.

Great post again Walter
    .-= John Paul Aguiar´s last blog ..SEO Tips For Your Twitter and Facebook Page To Rank You Higher On Google =-.

Life is all lessons. If we focus on misfortunes, we will fail to see the blessing hidden in it. We have to remember always that adversities bring the better person in us all. :-)

16. Ben says:

I’ve asked myself those same questions. You have an interesting approach between the mind, body, and spirit. One thing that’s always kept me going is a verse in the Bible that says, “We know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.” At least through suffering and adversity, we can hope that our character is being developed because of it. I hadn’t thought of it from the standpoint of mind and spirit before.
    .-= Ben´s last blog ..Romantic Thoughts that Must Be Done =-.

Our minds are but an object of our physical realm. The virtues of hope and perseverance are the qualities of our spirits. In life, our experiencing of adversity brings us closer to the realization of our true essence. :-)

17. Hi Walter – Over the years, the thing that’s made the most sense to me is that the world is made up of opposites: light/dark, sun/moon, desert/forest, summer/winter. I could go on and on but I’m sure you get my drift. So why would it be any different for humans? Without adversity we would not have its opposite.
    .-= Patty – Why Not Start Now?´s last blog ..Meaning Mondays: A Gathering of Men Edition =-.

18. Tim says:

Hi Walter:

Nice thought-provoking post and you make some great points. I am currently witnessing my mother deal with some major health issues so I can identify with your feeling of helplessness. I also agree with some of your readers who commented that sometimes it takes adversity to fully appreciate the good things in life. I don’t know about you, but when everything is going absolutely well in my life (which it did a few years back), I get a little nervous about what could be ahead.

In any case, I really do like the phrase (though I don’t know who created this): “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”

Thanks again for a very good post.

To tell you the truth Tim, I also get nervous about what could come ahead. I always hope that my complacency never ends, but in the reality of life, this in not possible. In times of adversity I can only rely on the strength of my spirit to withstand the pain of suffering. :-)

19. Walter, I agree with you regarding the automated ways we humans react to stress & adversity in our lives. We actually do have control over how the events of our lives affect us – it’s a choice we make. We become more stable and centered when we no longer allow ourselves to be emotionally whipped about by life’s ups and downs.

I’m glad you have a deep understanding about our nature as humans. I do believe that we are more than our physical form and that we could only grasp our spiritual part by detaching ourselves from the control of our minds. As I have said, suffering is only of the mind. :-)

20. Walter –

I love this post. Suffering is a central part of the human condition. Who hasn’t asked why we need to suffer. I love the Arthur Golden quote – that suffering blows away the illusion of this material world and brings us closer to our true essence. I think that it helps us find god in ourselves and others. When we’ve suffered we see that the spirit of the universe continues and is still within us. Thank you for a great post.

Phil
    .-= Phil – Less Ordinary Living´s last blog ..How to Keep Going =-.

Our minds, which belong to the physical realm, made us resist any uncomfortable and painful experience that life throws upon us. Suffering destroys the reason of the mind and gives birth to the awareness of our divine nature. :-)

21. Another great post from you, Walter. I love that quote from MOOG. It was a page-turner for me.

I think you’re farther along spiritually than I am with regards to seeing beyond the misery and suffering of those we love to a point of truth within ourselves. I can see it in as far as the adversity we experience from others when they are cruel to us, but not the nature of suffering and how it is doled out among the innocent.

Every time I hear a Mother talking about how her child was spared “by the grace of God” I can not help but think of the other children who were not spared via His grace. I just can’t wrap my mind around it.
    .-= Heather Kephart´s last blog ..The Death of my Brain =-.

I have had that question in my mind for many years. However, I realize that we are all subject to the laws of nature. We are living in a world of cause and effect, an existence which follow the survival of the fittest, it does not care who innocent or not nor who’s weak and who’s strong. Our mind tries to make sense of unfairness, but no matter how much we do, we cannot find any meaning.

The understanding of our minds will always be limited. The only way for us to see the bigger picture is through acceptance. Once we learn to accept what is unacceptable, our divine nature will finally dominate our being, then everything will be answered. :-)

22. I enjoyed reading your take on this. It’s all good man. The Universe actually conspires on your behalf. Kim George says it best. “Life doesn’t happen to you. Life happens for you.”
    .-= Tom Volkar / Delightful Work´s last blog ..Authentic Inspiration Zaps Procrastination =-.

23. Cheryl Paris says:

Great post. Beautifully and with truth you have conveyed the message of reason behind adversities.

Bye for now,
    Cheryl
    .-= Cheryl Paris´s last blog ..Saturday 9: Gimme Three Steps Girl =-.

Thanks Cheryl. I have meant to write this topic in the past, but I can’t find the right words to make it cohesive. I’m glad I’ve finally make it. :-)

24. “Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are. “

What a great quote! Much like Michelangelo’s approach to sculpture. If David had been the marble — or, rather if I (or you) were the marble — how painful the chipping and chiseling and sanding would be before the real ME (or YOU) emerged.

You are a deep and relevant thinker, Walter. I like how you take a vulnerability and see it through to truth, to growth.
    .-= Barb Hartsook´s last blog ..We Live Where Our Focus Is =-.

Such an excellent metaphor about adversity Barb. Before we can discover the real us, everything that is not us must be painfully stripped. Such is the purpose of adversities. :-)

25. Mark says:

You have said it very well. When we live from spirit we live, we live of the mind we suffer.
    .-= Mark´s last blog ..“I Don’t Know What It Tastes Like To You” – Understanding Experiences =-.

26. Trish says:

Very interesting. I agree that we sometimes “overthink” issues and some things just don’t make sense. We have to rely on what we use to get through adversity, our faith and spirit.
    .-= Trish´s last blog ..walkway =-.