Love eternal

iStock_000011547224XSmall

I want to share with you a little story to fill your hearts. Guilt I felt as I pass through each word, because I have taken for granted that person who has loved me the most. How lucky I was to have been loved, despite my shortcomings and imperfections. Never will I forget this lesson I learn about the true nature of love. I then pass this on to you.

Love You Forever

by Robert Munsch

A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she held him, she sang:

I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
As long as I’m living
my baby you’ll be.

The baby grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was two years old, and he ran all around the house. He pulled all the books off the shelves. He pulled all the food out of the refrigerator and he took his mother’s watch and flushed it down the toilet. Sometimes his mother would say, “this kid is driving me CRAZY!”

But at night time, when that two-year-old was quiet, she opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor, looked up over the side of his bed; and if he was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
As long as I’m living
my baby you’ll be.

The little boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was nine years old. And he never wanted to come in for dinner, he never wanted to take a bath, and when grandma visited he always said bad words. Sometimes his mother wanted to sell him to the zoo!

But at night time, when he was asleep, the mother quietly opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep, she picked up that nine-year-old boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
As long as I’m living
my baby you’ll be.

The boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a teenager. He had strange friends and he wore strange clothes and he listened to strange music. Sometimes the mother felt like she was in a zoo!

But at night time, when that teenager was asleep, the mother opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep she picked up that great big boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
As long as I’m living
my baby you’ll be.

That teenager grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a grown-up man. He left home and got a house across town. But sometimes on dark nights the mother got into her car and drove across town.  If all the lights in her son’s house were out, she opened his bedroom window, crawled across the floor, and looked up over the side of his bed. If that great big man was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
As long as I’m living
my baby you’ll be.

Well, that mother, she got older. She got older and older and older. One day she called up her son and said, “You’d better come see me because I’m very old and sick.” So her son came to see her. When he came in the door she tried to sing the song. She sang:

I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always…

But she couldn’t finish because she was too old and sick. The son went to his mother. He picked her up and rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And he sang this song:

I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
As long as I’m living
my Mommy you’ll be.

When the son came home that night, he stood for a long time at the top of the stairs. Then he went into the room where his very new baby daughter was sleeping. He picked her up in his arms and very slowly rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while he rocked her he sang:

I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
As long as I’m living
my baby you’ll be.

I hope this will make you remember the important people in your lives; let us not take them for granted. The saddest part one will regret is when the people we love can no longer appreciate the gratitude that we are late to express.

To my readers I offer thought provoking compositions about things important that affects our daily lives.  Please consider by subscribing below.

Globe Icon: RSS

Get Follow Me Buttons

Success eludes mediocrity

Nobody wants to listen

Technorati Tags: , ,

67 Responses to “Love eternal”

1. Alien Ghost says:

It is sad when we think that we take for granted the love of others until is too late to change things, but I guess it is always the right moment to take a new direction and valorate what is really important in life.

Beautiful post!

Raul
    .-= Alien Ghost´s last blog ..A Room Without Windows =-.

Oftentimes, we just need to be reminded of the people who have gave us their unsolicited love. The best we can do is to give them recognition and love. :-)

2. Johnluffa says:

Such a beautiful expression of love.
    And it’s so true, despite our shortcomings, there are people in our lives that never stop loving, never stop caring and never stop believing in us.

Due to one reason or another, we may not acknowledge them at that moment in time, but I believe, we’re always subconsciously taking mental notes of their actions.

That said, I feel inspired to put aside what am doing, put on hold my busy lifestyle and take time to appreciate and acknowledge the most important people in my world.
    .-= Johnluffa´s last blog ..What Blog Related Emails Do You Enjoy Receiving? =-.

Expressing our gratitude to the people who loves us truly is the thing we always taken for granted. A simple gesture of appreciation would be enough to express our thanks for their unconditional love. :-)

3. There are many times we take people that matter to us for granted. Other times we really don’t SHOW how appreciative we are of them.

This was a heart warming story, which is a good reminder to show love and appreciation for the ones you love.

cheers
    Persha
    .-= Persha -DumpedDays´s last blog ..8 Breakup Songs For The Depressed (& Women Who Need A Good Cry!) =-.

I have been guilty many times of taking for granted the people who loves me. But upon realization, I make it a point to express my equal love for them. :-)

4. Yun says:

What a beautiful story! We learn what love is from how we feel we are loved. Love comes in different packages, if we pay too much attention to the packages, we might miss the essence of love. I wish all the children feel being loved, so they can give love to their parents and to their children… Upward cycle.
    .-= Yun´s last blog ..Chewing on Anger like an Old Piece of Gum! =-.

5. Walter, this was beautiful! Thanks a lot for posting it, and I love the simple headline and graphic, too. Inspiring. :) .-= Miche | Serenity Hacker´s last blog ..7 Ways to Strengthen Relationships by Creating Lasting Memories =-.

6. There are no words for this beautiful story, at 63 and loving my family so much, I can only say I’m so glad your wrote this and I read it.

Thank you..

Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com
    .-= Dorothy Stahlnecker´s last blog ..Internet Dating soars: hot stares out, love-at-first-click in? =-.

7. Mathew Day says:

That was a great story about unconditional love, right in time for the Valentine’s Holiday. A great reminder to never take someones love for granted, cause we don’t know what the future may hold. :D .-= Mathew Day´s last blog ..WhyDoWork – Cool Adsense Plugin for WordPress =-.

8. Faizal says:

Hey Walter, that was a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing! It makes me think about everybody that cares for me that I can’t help but be grateful for.

We should be reminded at each moment how lucky we are to have been loved despite ourselves. This will strengthen our will to love. :-)

9. Michael Australia says:

As nice a story as it is with a nice moral behind it, it is depressing for those of us that have lost parents recently, so I regret reading it.

10. Travis says:

I think people in our lives who truly love us always mean well, even if they don’t go about expressing it in the most effective manner. Good story though, albeit bringing on feelings of sadness and happiness simultaneously.
    .-= Travis´s last blog ..Misery Loves Company =-.

Beautiful post. My mother died from cancer some years ago. She never had any health problems until the cancer. She was in the prime of her life and I became the first of my friends to lose a parent. It was hard to lose a parent at an age that was much younger than the norm. Taking care of her was one of the best things in my life for it made me see life from a bigger perspective and it enabled me to express my love and gratitude to my mother. When she died, there were no regrets on my end.

Nothing and no one will be around forever. Love and enjoy them as much as you can when you have them. For regret is not worth experiencing.
    .-= Nadia – Happy Lotus´s last blog ..Accessing The Yoda That Lives Within You =-.

• Michael says:

Well that makes me feel a lot better about the blog posting, and puts a whole new perspective on things so thanks for typing that.

I’m sad to hear that Nadia. I have had the same experience as yours but with my father. He suffered long from emphysema and I have taken care of him till his last. When he died, if have no regrets for I have given him much love that only a son can give to his old and ailing dad. :-)

Wow. This one gave me goosebumps…and what a perfect day to share it with all of us. It reminds me of how core and basic and primal our need is to love and be loved. Really, that’s all that matters.

Thank you. I’m actually a bit speechless right now!

Warmly,
    Michelle

P.S. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! Delighted to meet you! :)

13. Ryan says:

This post is why I’m not really a Valentine’s Day guy. I try to appreciate the love I have every day. Actually day and night. When I awake I mentally list the people who are closest to me and how much I appreciate them, and do the same thing at night.

Your closest loved ones first showed love to you; that’s why you love them so much. Take the time every day to appreciate them and any regrets will fade way.
    .-= Ryan´s last blog ..Super Quick Lesson in SEO =-.

14. Karen says:

This was a beautiful story, Walter. I almost started crying reading it as it reminds me of my own mother who is getting older.

Thanks for the insightful reminder to not take for granted those we love.

Karen
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Are You Being Your True Authentic Self? =-.

15. Walter,

You have an awesome, inspiring site. I really like this story as well – something we all can learn from.

Best,
    Mike

16. Walter – thanks for a timely reminder about the nature of love. It is all too easy to take people for granted in our crazy lives. There are a few people I need to contact to let them know I care. Great post.

Phil
    .-= Philip Bolton´s last blog ..Viktor Frankl – Lessons from a Concentration Camp =-.

Many times I’ve been guilty of forgetting the people who loved me dearly. And so I try my best to give them love and appreciation in my own little way. :-)

17. I know and love this story. It’s a children’s book isn’t it? I’ve read it to my kids when they were little. Although, the message is for anyone really. And what a good message it is!

Life goes quickly. The older you get the faster it seems to go. So yes, soak in every moment, enjoy the present and appreciate the people in your life. And let them know how much you love them.

Thanks for sharing Walter! Have a great day.

A good friend of mine shared this story to me, and it has instantly touched me. So I felt the urge to share it here for everyone to read. As what you have said let this be a reminder for all of us to love and appreciate the people who has loved us unconditionally. :-)

18. vikum says:

A touching story.Your blog seems kool and I’m loving it :). The people who are in our lives will be our treasures in this little journey of life. So we must show them our love as this is now or never. Otherwise we’ll repent that we couldn’t do it once we had the opportunity.
    Thanks for the nice story ! Have a nice day !
    .-= vikum´s last blog ..Simple acts of kindness =-.

19. I also believe that this same eternal love that we feel for our mother can be applied to everything else in the world. We should be appreciative of it all – for our existence itself. When we learn to love life unconditionally than we open the gateway towards true happiness.
    .-= Steven | The Emotion Machine´s last blog ..How To Create Your Own Self-Hypnosis Audio =-.

20. Mark says:

This story has been a long time favorite of mine. Matter of fact I have given this in book form to many a new parent and many a graduating senior. Thanks for sharing this today.
    .-= Mark´s last blog ..Reflections Of Our Self =-.

21. Beautiful. It’s an excellent reminder to live in the moment and to remember to show appreciation for those we love here and now. Thanks.

22. Thanks Walter for stopping by and leaving some advice about how to improve my blog. Your ideas are excellent and I am trying some of them already. I just signed up for the Third Tribe marketing offered through problogger.com and am excited about what I will learn there.

Your blog is great. I love all the comments you get. :D

Peace and more success to you,

Joseph

I just felt the urge to connect with you Joseph. Just a piece of advice though, you will have the edge if you follow your own uniqueness. :-)

23. AparnA says:

Its a valid post… Your blog is too good :) Great knowledge..

But where does it end?

24. Moon Hussain says:

That made me think of my parents :( Maybe I’ll call my mom today and spend a while chatting with her.

Thanks for reminding me a very important lesson!
    .-= Moon Hussain´s last blog ..Why Automating Your Proccess Is The Only Way To Stay Sane =-.

Being imperfect as we are, it is understandable that we oftentimes forget. But we must remember the uncertainty of time. :-)

25. Anastasiya says:

This is beautiful, sad, sentimental and so important all at the same time. I am far from my mom now and even though I talk to her every day I still feel that I cannot show her enough how much I love and appreciate her. Your post made me miss her even more than I did before… I can’t wait to see her in a couple of months…

Though you may be far apart, the important thing is that you are connecting with her everyday. I know your Mom appreciates this a lot. :-)

26. Sara says:

Walter — That story brought tears to my eyes. It is the perfect way to express the true meaning of Valentine’s Day…as the day we share our love.

.-= Sara´s last blog ..Picture Story: A Cardinal Talks =-.

27. faerwillow says:

~a story that remains close at hand…when my first was born i stumbled across this book and passed it along to our mothers for a gift…beautiful are those words written…feelings that resonte within our heart…deeply rooted in our soul…how we all need to long embrace each moment that is brought before us…delighted you somehow stumbled upon my blog as now i have found your writings…brightest blessings~
    .-= faerwillow´s last blog ..words to ponder~ =-.

28. Jayne says:

I remember the first time I “heard” this little book. It was in church, and it was read by a young mother. You could tell that she was accustomed to reading to her children because of the way she occasionally turned the book towards the congregation as if we could see the pictures. I loved the book then and still do. :-) .-= Jayne´s last blog ..Reba’s Reminder =-.

Who could not appreciate such a great and wonderful work? I’m very glad to have discovered and shared Robert Munsch’s wisdom. :-)

29. Erin says:

I need a tissue now. Unconditional love is such a beautiful thing.
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Why We Are Here =-.

30. Walter, I’ve never jumped in here, but you’re one of my favorite people. My little boy turns two tomorrow and I’ve been thinking about this story a lot lately and doing what I can to make every day with him unforgettable. This part of his life went by so quickly. You’ve got a good heart, my friend. Thanks for doing what you do.
    .-= Josh Hanagarne´s last blog ..How To Be As Confident As This Pig =-.

31. [...] always thought-provoking Walter over at LionSlinger wrote about Love Eternal this week. Read this article and see if you don’t end up wiping tears at the end of it. I [...]

32. this was my daughters favorite children’s book and she read it to my grandchildren. She buys a copy for everyone she knows who has a baby!

33. Lauren says:

Wow, this one struck home as well, Walter. I have been thinking about appreciating the love we have. I often do. Yet, I can’t help but remember my precious friend William who left us about 1 1/2 years ago. He was a remarkable artist in Pasadena Ca who gave so much to others. He loved me unconditionally – in a special way that I really miss. He thought of me always and was there in so many ways. I truly miss him and yet the memory of his love will live in my heart forever.

It’s hard to forget the people who have loved us dearly but regrets will flood our hearts when we did not appreciate the love they have conveyed upon us. :-)

34. Ben says:

Very cool story and poem. Heartwarming. It’s definitely very important to cherish love.
    .-= Ben´s last blog ..Cambodia Motorcycle Diary #4 =-.