Why are we having problems with problem?

problem

PROBLEMS! Why can we not get over this for good? And why the heck am I writing about it, have I run out of issues worthy of concern? I guess not. In fact this is the most important issue I must address because most people are making a huge mistake on how they perceive the true nature of problems?

At every waking moments of our life, problems have been a part of our everyday struggles. Some are trifle we attend to it without much effort while some are big we are crushed by it. I find it very ironic how we deal with problems; we eat with it, we sleep with it, we go drunk with it, we go high with it, we curse God with it and we even entertain Hades with it; and yet we’ve never gained understanding of it. You may think I’m crazy, who in their right minds would acknowledge problems?

I do, and allow me to share what I’ve learned.

People, through conditioning, have inadvertently perceive problems as cumbersome package of misery—courtesy of life, or of God, as others come to believe. Our connotation of problem as threat to our complacency has led us to a kind of response that has nothing more than compound our burdens.

Tired of approaching problems the same way, I resolved to dissect it right to its very core (of course I did it in the laboratory of my thoughts). And I discovered two ludicrous things about myself. First, I am the author of most of my problems. Second, my mind has always ascribed problems negatively, and so I react accordingly to this insidious manipulation! In effect I felt disempowered. Still, I need to find out how to deal with it.

Luckily, I’ve gained some insights. My query has given me understanding about the true intention of problems; it became clear that we had totally misinterpreted its real purpose in our everyday existence. I now understand that it is an opportunity to build our character and it carries wisdom about the reality of things. Despite our stubborn mind shouting in contradiction, we need to take its challenge and follow where it wants to leads us: by focusing on the solution it will anchor us on better grounds. Yes, I know I’m being deep, but I want you to understand the lessons behind every problem.

The people who focuses on finding solutions to their problems are lead to the discovery of their true capacities; they uncover great things about themselves they didn’t know they possess, and with such realizations they have added value to their true worth.

On the other hand, those who avoid facing their problems, either by perceived inability, or by blaming, or by playing the victim, or by self-pity, or by any precarious means of denial (it’s amazing how people are creative when avoiding problems and plays dumb when finding solutions) ends up deeper in the mud.  They see problems as curse or punishment, and so they live accordingly: a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The epitome of problem is to enforce change.

Change is a law of life and we humans find it difficult to adopt with change; we always want to be in our familiar grounds. This is the very reason we are having problems with problem; because it nudges us from our comfort zones. Unless we understand this we can never loosen its grip. Instead of focusing all our energies in denial, we might as well give in to the challenge and learn from it. That’s what problems are for. It is for our improvement, it is for our growth, it is for correcting our mistakes, it is for changing us into a much better person.

But man is vulnerable; and I want you to know that I acknowledge this weakness inherent in all of us. I accept that there are problems in life which we consider unreasonable: tragedies, terminal ailments, major failures, relationship breakdowns, pain, death of a loved one, injustices; anything that drains the light out of us.

You’ll ask: How do we handle this? What benefit can I get from difficult situation? Let me tell you the truth, the only thing we will get from a seemingly hopeless problem is the realization that we are more than the problems we suffer. Let us allow our weakness, let our days be blighted, let us feel our anxieties, let our fears intimidate us, let our hopes flicker, let us feel our vulnerabilities. But remember do not drown yourself in misery because it will not make any changes. All will all be the same unless you stand up and embrace your situation. We should not allow ourselves to be defeated. We are not given problems beyond our capabilities. Unless we deal with it, we will never know the wisdom it brings.

Nothing is permanent in this world. Life and death are separated by a thin line. We can never predict what life will bring, and problems will always be certain. What will always count is how we perform in life and how we face the challenges it conveys.

I can never pretend to be strong, and I would rather summon my courage than rely on my strength.

“A problem is a chance for you to do your best.”

- Duke Ellington

If you find this article interesting subscribe HERE.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

75 Responses to “Why are we having problems with problem?”

1. Greg says:

I’m pretty guilty of this. I moved to another city for a graduate education, and struggled with the change. Mightily.

I’ve gotten better, but it’s still not my strong suit…

@Greg – Remember Greg, accepting change can never be mastered overnight. The important thing is that you have accepted it, even in struggle. :-)

Great post. You are so right, we are the authors of our problems. Problems become problems due to our perspective of the situation at hand.

The Dalai Lama said there is a solution to your problem, then there is no need to worry. If there is no solution to your problem, then there is no need to worry either. I never forgot that and remember it each time that worry beast raises its ugly head.

Some people handle change really well…I am fortunate to be of that group and have never understood people who could not handle change. Change is a part of life…you cannot escape it. Nothing is secure and nothing lasts forever. That does not mean you have to love change but you have to learn to accept that is a part of life.

Hope all is awesome. :)

@Nadia – Thank you Nadia. Nice of you to share the wisdom of the Dalai Lama, it’s true, problems will always have solutions.

3. What a great article Walter, and so true. Thank you for the reminder that we are never bigger than our problems.
    May your problems be few and far between:)

4. Joni Fisher says:

Your article is solid! I agree that we are, many times, guilty of creating our own problems (drama) only to become that self-fulfilling prophesy.

I had someone dear to me share the following….when your car runs out of gas, look within. Chances are it is “you” that has hit the wall. Opportunities are veiled in problems, to learn & grow we need to look within to determine the lesson to be learned!

@Joni – Hey, thanks Joni. That someone dear of yours is wise to share with you those wisdom. And I truly agree that opportunity are indeed veiled in problems. :-)

Love the quote you shared at the end. This is a great post. The more we can keep ourselves from reacting, the better we will deal with problems. Soon we will deal so well that we won’t feel the need to rehash them, even. I like what you wrote here: “we are more than the problems we suffer.” So true!

@Jodi – Problems will always be a part of us. Either we grow from it or suffer from it. Thank you Jodi for sharing your thoughts. :-)

6. Teejay says:

I have been reading a very good book, Mindset. It talks about how our minds work. How some people accept failures / challenges (problems) and how some people don’t.

I think we all need a growth-mindset. If not, problems will continue to be problems until we face them head on.

7. Lady Fi says:

Good article – and so true for most of us! Problems are a matter of perspective really – and you can either look at them as obstacles, or as challenges, or a motivators for change.

I guess it is a lifetime of learning for most of us when it comes to this.

Problems are not something I see as being a negative. I have learned to see them as an opportunity in disguise and will ask myself, “what can I learn from this?” Once I have the answer, I’m able to move forward realizing it was just another little bump in the road from which I can grow.

Congrats on an interesting post.

I see problems as challenges that show me the way to go. I moved to a different city for higher studies and career. Initially, it was difficult but during this period of struggling I started enjoying life more. Thus, it has now become my way of life. So, problems teach you a lot.

10. Robin says:

Hi Walter – I like what you are saying very much. I usually respond to problems by saying “this is where I am at”, and then I can approach the issue feeling calm – I’m not trying to get ahead of myself.

11. Leeuna says:

This is a great article Walter. The only constant in our lives is change. We must learn to accept it and grow along with it. I’ve learned that if we turn and face a problem head-on and with logic, then it doesn’t loom as large as we first assumed. To use an adage, we often make mountains out of mole hills. :lol:

@Leeuna – Welcome Leeuna. I’m glad you loved my post. And I like the adage you have shared. Boy, are we really talented in compounding our problems. :-)

12. From this… “I am the author of most of my problems”

to this… “A problem is a chance for you to do your best,”

you laid it all out and said it so well, Walter. Bravo! Very inspiring.

And thanks to blogs like yours, I am getting much better at going with the flow, so problems do not look as I used to allow them to.

13. Hey walter

Great post mate and thanks for stopping by my blog,

Man tell me about it Im always creating problems outta nothing and I even create problems when there is not even a problem.

Good stuff I will have to bookmark this and come back for another read.

cheers

Marcus

14. I find that a little perspective check always helps me deal with a problem. In general, I prefer to call problems challenges. A challenge, for me at least, sounds like something that can enhance me. Semantics are great like that.

@Belinda – That’s good Belinda, I also do some perspective check when it comes to problems. Though I still see problems will a little uneasiness I try to focus on a solution. :-)

15. susan says:

Excellent post. Very insightful the way you’ve laid it out. I have come learn and understand that what we focus on expands. If we can learn to focus on the solution-side of things, rather than the problem-side, we can create better outcomes and quicker too. Interestingly enough, while the one constant in life is change–external kind– many have a hard time changing oneself. By changing our habit of thought, we can become deliberate creators and problem solvers :D Always enjoy your writing.

@Susan – Thank you Susan for sharing your thoughts on my post. I’m glad you’ve got a different perspective in approacing problems and that is good. :-)

16. Jimi Jones says:

Great post, Walter.
    In general, too much time is spent looking at the problem instead of focusing on a solution. You’ve covered this issue well.

17. Paul Lear says:

I am embracing change in my life right now, and a lot of good has/will come from it.

I’m pushing myself and forcing myself to break free, and get far out of my comfort zones.

I have managed to get some videos on Youtube, which was a huge issue for me, that I never thought I would be able to achieve. But I pushed myself and got through it.

And now I’m going one step further and I’m going to my first seminar in 3 weeks, where I’ll hopefully meet Alex Jeffreys, Lee McIntyre, Dean Holland, some other gurus, and of course some of my fellow students.

If I hadn’t of pushed myself out of my comfort zones, and told myself to just get it booked instead of worrying and being nervous, I would probably would of ended up putting it off.

But taking fast action has given me less to worry about and think about, I’m going and that is that!

Great post, Walter!

Paul.

@Paul – I’m happy to hear that Paul. Isn’t it wonderful to discover that we have more than we ever think of. We can achieve great thing if we push beyond our perceived limitations. :-)

18. Bruce Teague says:

I feel like my life has been gone through lots of big changes the past few years. I hate change.

19. Tim says:

Problems are really opportunities in disguise. All because one pathway to our idea of “success and happiness” is blocked temporarily doesn’t mean we can’t go in another direction that will benefit us in unexpected ways.

I love the direction this blog is going by the way. You seem to explain things on a deeper level than most people. You must have had some rather unique life experiences. I’m definitely going to read your posts more regularly.

20. “The epitome of problem is to enforce change.”
    Exactly. Which does mean it’s not really a problem but an opportunity.

21. Ryan says:

The problem lies in judgement. Label something good or bad and the corresponding feeling ensues. So much of successful living is seeing things as they are. Feeling arises, oberve it, and let it go. With greatner still one observes this process more clearly.

Thanks for taking the time to comment my blog Walter.

RB

22. What an interesting take on problems — that they need not be solved, necessarily, but simply accepted. I loved the comments everyone made, and thought Nadia’s words were also very inspirational (what she shared from the Dalai Lama).
    Richard Bach had another quote about problems I liked, which went something like this: Every problem has a gift for us in its hands. We seek problems because we want those gifts.

@Megan – Problems certainly have some benefits for us if we just take on its challenge. We cannot escape it, but we can grow with it. :-)

23. Vanessa says:

Walter: Great article, and so true! Problems naturally seem as an inconvenience, something that we either need to hide from or rail against. Instead, by viewing them as an opportunity for change and growth, we not only change our perception of the situation, which changes our entire demeanor, we also strike up our own creativity we naturally possess to address the problem.

This quote of yours I think is my favorite: “I resolved to dissect it right to its very core (of course I did it in the laboratory of my thoughts).” I love the thought of a laboratory……of my thoughts. That may inspire me to write about that!!!!

You also have great wisdom, and I will visit here again!!! Peace to you, Vanessa :P

24. Angelia Sims says:

“They see problems as curse or punishment, and so they live accordingly: a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

So true! I was like this for far too many years. THIS is what I deserve. I brought it on myself, etc, etc. When I finally broke through the barrier of self-defeat, learning to look, solve, explore and combat problems. It was very freeing. I certainly grew as a person inside and out.
    Wonderful post, Walter!

@Angelia – I’m glad you have finally gained your understanding of problems. It’s a pleasure to see you here. :-)

25. Karlil says:

The best article I read so far this week Walter. Problems will always be present. But instead of bitching or avoiding it, simply change to a different perspective in approaching problems would do great for many. And hey, breathing becomes so much easier too. :)

26. mheldita says:

hey pal,
    nice one… :D hope you write more of this kind :roll: and goodluck….

27. Nhoel says:

WHOEVER YOU ARE, YOU CAN ALWAYS HAVE A PROBLEM, AND MOST OF THE TIME THEY’RE LABELED AS “HARD” ONES.

JUST ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT HAPPINESS IS NOT A SITUATION BUT A CHOICE.
    great article.

thanks,
    -Nhoel of http://keywordspeak.com

28. fas says:

Haha, that is very interesting post there. I wanna read more of this, cant wait.

29. Patrice says:

You’re right – we are not given any problem beyond our capabilities to solve it. Just think positively and take courage.

30. Bow Ties says:

This is an interesting post , you are right about our problems….. BTW you really have writing skills :-)
    Good luck

31. Will says:

Great read, Walter. The thing I have had to realize over the years is that we need to come to terms with what our base characters are and work with that. I am someone who by nature likes the tried and true. I am very confident and adventuresome by nature, but fairly soft-spoken and resistant to change. This, even though I can not point to one change in my life that has not been positive in the end. I seem to be very good at adapting and seem to have so far been fairly fortunate in my life’s changes. BUT, by nature I am still resistant. Go figure!

@Will- I admit that I’m also resistant to change, but my resistance stays on my mind and is never manifested in my actions. I appreciate your sharing Will. Thank you for dropping by. :-)

32. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

33. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

34. Thank you for the reminder, and for sharing your insight. I can specifically recall the moment I realized that problems were a normal, perpetual state of being. I was in college, on the phone, asking my father for $50. I used to think problems were the anomaly, the point of life being to exist without friction. At that moment I realized that life would ALWAYS be like this – challenging. I grew up a little that day (and they grew down in later years, but I’m clawing my way back).

Your blog is an inspiration!
    .-= Heather Kephart´s last blog ..Creative inspiration takes flight at the Kephart compound =-.

35. Rocky Garcia says:

How about treating a problem as an opportunity to grow? These problems that we encountering makes us strong when we face it like a man. So let’s face our problem like a man. Soon problems will not a problem anymore. :-) .-= Rocky Garcia´s last blog ..Cool FarmVille Prints =-.

36. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

37. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

38. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

39. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

40. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

41. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

42. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

43. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

44. [...] Why are we having problems with problem [...]

45. I like how you said, “summon the courage.” I believe we have to look to a power within us and outside of us that is greater than ourselves. The universe (God) is filled with courage. We just need to tap into it. I like to do this through meditation, Yoga, and going for walks in nature. This helps me reframe my problems and use them to my advantage. I must admit that it doesn’t always work right away, but at least it kicks starts me in the right direction.

We are born in this world possessing the capability to make a change. If we somehow use this power to lift us higher into understanding, there’s no question that cannot be answered. :-)

46. Butterfly says:

I used to run away from my problems not anymore from now on im facing them head on….great great post writing about whatever you feel is very inspiring don’t stop
    .-= Butterfly´s last blog ..Leading Lady =-.

47. The One says:

Problems to me is an Illusion. If you are a Spiritual being, finding a solution to a ‘problem’ is easy. All that matters is how you feel. The outside world will never come close to your feelings. Grasping your ideas and keeping true to yourself will take ‘problems’ away. We are all here on this journey to learn or teach someone something. I do not see any problems just learning experiences. It all comes from within and only how one persives situations.

• Henway says:

I agree with this as well. “Problems” arise when someone or something doesn’t fit with your view of the world. You can change them or the situation but most of the time it’s unchangeable. Or you can change yourself, which is the most intelligent thing.
      Henway recently posted..Oxy-Powder Success StoryMy Profile